Joanna Ng is the founder of Devarim Design. An ex-IBM-er, Joanna pivoted to innovate in an entrepreneurial start-up setting, focusing on Artificial Intelligence, specialized in Augmented Cognition, by integrating with IoT and Blockchain, applying to all of it her design-thinking methodology.
Joanna’s niche is her capacity and insight in turning complex abstractions and theories and research outcome into useful products and solutions. She held a seven-year tenure as the Head of Research and Director of the Centre for Advanced Studies, IBM Canada Lab; and accredited as an IBM Master Inventor.
Professionally as an inventor and technologist, her portfolio includes:
- Being granted to her name forty-nine patents by U.S. and other countries’ Patent Offices
- Co-authored two computer science books with Springer: The Smart Internet (2010) and The Personal Web (2013)
- Published and co-authored over twenty peer-reviewed academic papers
Some of Joanna’s inventions are highlighted below:
- “The Four Languages of Innovation”
- “The Smart Internet”
- “The Personal Web”
- “Personalized Web Tasking”, “Web Tasking”
- Scribble on IISE
- SOSA (Social Ontology & Semantic Actions)
- REAST (REpresentational Action State Transfer) and ROH (Resource Oriented Hypermedia)
- DIANE (Domain Informatics and ANalytics for Enterprise) aka Talk To Your Own Data
Personally as a person of faith in Christ, her ministries in faith includes:
- Started a virtual and local hybrid faith community to promote the integration of faith and work called KOE (Kingdom On Earth)
- Being a speaker at Lausanne Global Workplace Forum (GWF) at Manila, Philippines in June 2019. She gave two talks at its Media & Technology Consultation; one on “Redeeming AI for God’s Kingdom” and the other one on “Using Mobile & Social Computing for the Great Commission. She was also one of the main tent panelists on “AI at the Workplace”.
- Being a voice of faith in the tech-space: She published an article through Christianity Today, called How Artificial Super Intelligence Is Today’s Tower of Babel
- Being interviewed by AI and Faith and Alpha Asia Alpha Asia
- Profiled by Christianity Today as a Computer Scientist and Technologist and as a partner and advocate
- Started a KOE book series
- Published her first book of the KOE series called Being Christian 2.0: Instead of losing heart, Let’s start over (Oct 2022)
Joanna earned her degree of Bachelor of Science from University of Calgary, majored in Computer Science, with a double major in Psychology. She also earned a degree of MBA from Queen’s University.